If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (970) 618-1516

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration
Please Call 970-949-3235, We Are Experiencing Phone Issues

Home Electrical Safety Tips

11/16/2021 (Permalink)

Outlet on fire Outlet on fire

Home Electrical Safety Tips

Electricity is a cornerstone of modern living. It can be dangerous if not treated with proper respect. Many electrical fires can be prevented by following some simple electricity safety tips.

  • Avoid overloading outlets

Overloading an electrical outlet is a common cause of electrical problems. Check all outlets to ensure they are cool to the touch, have protective faceplates, and properly working. Additionally, only one heat-producing device should be plugged into an outlet at a time (coffee maker, hairdryer, etc.), and refrigerators, ovens, laundry machines, and other major appliances should be plugged straight into the wall and not an adapter or extension cord.

  • Unplug all your unused appliances to reduce potential risks.

Not only will unplugging appliances prevent you from using unnecessary energy, but it could also help protect your appliances from surges and other electrical mishaps.

  • Give your appliances proper space for air circulation to avoid overheating.

Without proper air circulation, electrical equipment can overheat and short out and become an electrical fire hazard. Make sure your appliances have adequate air circulation and avoid running electrical equipment in enclosed cabinets.

  • Never run cords under carpets, rugs, doors, or windows.

Running cords throughout your house can cause tripping hazards as well as inviting electrical accidents when they’re consistently out in the open. And a cord under a rug or carpet is a fire hazard. 

  • Replace or repair damaged electrical cords to keep your home safe.

Damaged power cords are a severe residential electrical safety risk, and they are capable of causing both fires and electrocution. All power and extension cords should be checked regularly for signs of fraying and cracking, and they should then be repaired or replaced as needed.

  • Install Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters

A ground-fault circuit interrupter shuts off if it detects the current is being diverted due to a short circuit or insulation problem. This helps protect people from being shocked, and it prevents fires due to electrical faults. GFCI devices should be installed in bathrooms and kitchens.

When your home or commercial business experiences a fire damage emergency, SERVPRO of Garfield & Pitkin Counties is here to help. Call us today at 970-241-8181

Other News

View Recent Posts